Tag Archives: neurology


Waiting. This is my website.  It bears my name.  I pay money for that right.

So in addition to writing/posting about things pro-life, church, Bible, etc, am I allowed to shine the light upon myself now and then?

On 1st September 2016, I had an MVA – a motor vehicle accident.  This took place in a covered carpark at Manukau Pak n Save.  Until recently, despite suspicions, there has been little clarity as to how the accident happened.  I say that because to this day, there is a brief period of time I cannot recall, a brief period of time during which I had a blackout.  I came to as the vehicle I was responsible for operating came into contact with a concrete pillar, writing the vehicle off.

In the following days and weeks I was privileged to see a number of doctors (some more than once) addressing symptomatic and causal concerns.  In terms of symptoms, I have had a constant headache since the accident (though it varies in severity) as well as neck, shoulder, and back pain.

No driving sir…

I was advised by doctors not to drive.  The concern was a repeat blackout – not in a desolate car park, but a busy motorway.

How long would this doctor advised prohibition be in place?  Basically until I saw a neurologist.  Initially I had received a letter telling me I could be waiting up to four months.  Another letter, received the same week confirmed it would be four weeks which brings me to today: October Four, and the appointment with the neurologist.

Every doctor I have seen over the course of the last month or so has been very thorough – Dr. Brockington no less.  The result of the physical examination and my recital of what has now become a well-rehearsed recollection of events was a diagnosis in which Dr. Brockington suspects I had a seizure.  This seizure is a probable explanation for the blackout and post-crash deviation of character.

I had approached this neurology appointment with anticipation and expectation.   Per expectation, it would be a mere formality that would see me driving again.  So great was my expectation that I’d gone out of my way to get the key for a car that a co-worker had been using.

Following the appointment, I went to where the car was parked (in a secure, code-accessible lock-up) but only to put the key in the car.  “No driving yet, key is in the car” was the text.

No driving yet.

It was bad news.  Dr. Brockington’s question was not had I had a seizure, but what kind of seizure had I had.  That will be what follow-up testing will determine.  But on the basis of her diagnosis, there’ll be no driving for me in the next six months – at least.  The NZTA has laws around the suspension of drivers licenses for people who have had interrelated seizures and MVA’s.  This is a matter of public safety which was captured by the concern of previously seen doctors.

This is What We've Been Waiting ForThere’s a reason that even the medical professionals call it an EEG.  An electroencephalogram is a test used to detect abnormalities related to electrical activity of the brain. This procedure tracks and records brain wave patterns. Small metal discs with thin wires (electrodes) are placed on the scalp.  , The signals are sent to a computer to record the results.

In addition to an EEG, I will be having some brain imaging done.  Beyond just surveying the cranial landscape, the tests need to determine the probability of seizures reoccurring.  Apparently, if I have two seizures in the course of six months, it’s called epilepsy.

So this is what we’ve been waiting for.

The neurologist’s appointment, assessment and diagnosis,  and clearance to drive.  Two out of three of these things happened today, but not the one I wanted.

I guess it’s going to be a matter of waiting so more.  Waiting to see what happens over the course of the next weeks and months.  And I guess there’ll be, in the next few days, a sense in which I have to deal with the reality and implication of the situation.




October Four

An Update on An Update

In my last post – Four Months – which was an update on an earlier post – Blackout – I advised that an appointment with a neurologist could come as late as 2017.  Today, within the same week as the first letter, I received another letter confirming an appointment date: October Four.   Fourth of October.  4th of October.  4/10/2016.

That’s a relief, I tell you what.  For me.  And for my family.  A relief for my employer.  And a relief for ACC.  Pending this appointment I might be back behind the wheel of a motor vehicle within a month.  I would like that very much.


Four Months

It could take up to four months…

Twelve days ago I had an MVA.  A motor vehicle accident.  I still don’t know quite how it happened, though there is no double about what happened.  I wrote a lengthy blog post about it.  I guess this is a follow-up.

After catching a taxi home yesterday at ACC’s expense – because I am not allowed to drive – I opened a letter.  I knew the letter would be regarding a neurologist appointment that would result in answer the question “So when can I drive again?”

The letter didn’t tell me when the appointment would be except to say that while I was given high priority, it could take up to four months before I saw a neurologist.

No Driving for Mr. Ward

All the paper-work, from GP to ACC, says no driving until such time as I have seen a neurologist. That’s a long time in the scheme of things.  While I appreciate that the appointment could happen a lot sooner than the “up to four months” the letter promises, this takes me into 2017.

Between now and the end of the business year, there are 73 work days.  I am taking taxi’s to and from work.  That’s 146 taxi trips; 146 taxi fares.  It’s about $40 each way.  That’s over $5500 just to get me to and from work.  The blow is softened by the fact that this is at ACC’s expense.

That’s all for now.